Saturday, January 3, 2015

Love




Allow me to take you on a brief journey, please. Sit back, read the words and envision what you must to capture what you see. It is my hope that I avoid sounding cliché. However, I may very well fail. Forgive me, in advance.
Western media presents true and lasting love in fairytale form as if it is unattainable or too whimsical to hope for, in reality. We are assailed with notions that fiery and passionate love is not long lasting. Our expectations should be brief and cursory, never believing that true devotion can be realized. Whenever we hear of a couple whose commitment to one another has spanned decades, we are surprised. Some may even question it. Yet, deep down on the inside of us…in a dark and quiet chamber of our hearts, we are still hopeful. There is a scant few that hope beyond hope that LOVE will conquer all. I am one such soul.
I close my eyes because I refuse to look into a room without you in it. I hold my breath because it hurts to get a whiff of you when you are not around. I exhale only to survive. I feel like a soul without a body until my body is touching yours. Your skin is like medicine, your voice like calming waters and your touch is motivational. I am borne on the wings of your presence and I am lifted to a time and place where anything is possible. This kind of love is like a good book, easily read and enjoyed. It is an epic bestseller, sought out by many.
This love is ageless. This love is priceless. This love is sought after; many even kill for it. This love is stalwart. This love is abiding. This love begs to be expressed in every manner and on every front and in sight of all who choose to witness it. This love is unforgettable and matchless and … well, ours. It is stronger than the power of death (or so it seems). Even with all of its weight and power, this love is light and lifted. This love breaks the chains of insecurity and fear. It breaks free from the confines of societal norms and expectations in that it will not falter in the face of adversity. It gains strength from the challenges it faces and it closes ranks when storms arise.  This love is not naïve. It understands that it is exceptional and envied. It is the topic of many faithless discussions and disloyal banter. Many are quietly (and not so quietly) hoping for its demise. This love will disappoint them. 
I long for the moments when we are together. My lips can feel the soft and gentle pressure of yours long after the kiss has ended. I scribble your name on a napkin and hold it against the palm of my hand, like it is yours. I smile at the mention of your name and that feeling in the pit of my belly has not diminished over the years. It has been more than a decade and the fire is still burning. Year after year the embers rekindle and spark – the flame pops and crackles and the heat of it touches everyone who comes near it. I know this is love is rare. I also know that it doesn’t have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment