Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Not On My Watch








In our society, it has become commonplace for us to remain silent when we should be speaking out. We are so bombarded with the cares of this world that we turn a blind eye to that which is going on in our own backyards. People are left in unsafe situations because we refuse to take hold of the mantle, “I am my brothers/sisters keeper.” We stand idly by and bear witness to a person’s dream dying before it takes its first breath. We turn a deaf ear to the cries of those whose voice rings loudly because they need to be heard. The death of fire and passion and drive looms ominously overhead. Instead of staring it in the face and commanding life back into our society, we open the umbrella of feigned ignorance and hide our faces. Well, I say, “Not on my watch.”

In my newest book, Beholden, I tackle the hard topics; stare it directly in the face and call it what it is – the doctor who is abused, the judge who takes liberties, the chief of police who blurs the lines of the law and the pastor who loses sight of the real call. The people, in their circle, are slow to stand up to what is going on; someone else takes matters into his/her own hands. Who will stand up to the menace in Galena? Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/chq6v43

No comments:

Post a Comment