Friday, April 19, 2013

Day One - On a Scale From 1-10, I Give it a 5


Today was the BIG day. It began at 4:25am. I arrived at MCV Medical Center's Gateway Bldg at 5:45am (15 minutes later than expected). I checked in, Lucy received her pager (#186) and Larry called me to the back. He took my weight (OMG, I really need this Ice Diet) and led me to Room A9. I received my instructions, put on the lovely outfit that had been provided au gratis for the occasion, and Larry left the room. There were 6 washcloth size wipes that were to be used to 'wash' my neck, torso, abdomen, arms, legs and buttocks (this is a precautionary measure against infection). They even had a large heart-shaped bandage that the nurse, later, carefully placed at the small of my back (butt-top). She advised this was to protect the delicate skin during the tonsillectomy. The nurse asked a tremendous amount of health questions - the resident had me to sign my consent (again) and let me know to expect great pain for the next 2 weeks - the anesthesiologist went over how they would put me to sleep and keep me asleep (also, stating that I had so much scar tissue on my tonsils due to the chronic inflammation) and Dr. Reiter presented me with a beautiful blue bracelet proclaiming to everyone that I was to have a bilateral tonsillectomy, this morning. His bracelet complemented the green name tag and red allergy bands. What an ensemble which went wonderfully with the blue patterned hospital gown and the gray and white hospital footies, along with the blue bonnet! I looked a hot mess! LOL

The procedure lasted a little over an hour, I was given some Dilaudid and ice chips, Lucy was advised that the tonsil cyst was infected and would be biopsied and I was sent on my way between 11:00am and noon. We spent time getting my medication, liquid Oxycodone for pain (14 day supply) and an antibiotic - Clindamycin HCL 150mg (7 day supply, 8 pills a day) to stave off a post-operative infection. There were further instructions to lie down, today, and lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for the first 10 days.

Ice packs on my neck, a small pitcher filled with ice and water - the pain never went away, even with the high powered narcotic, but it has been tolerable. I rate today, 5 out of 10.

A Little Funny from My 3 Year Old Grandson -
Grandson: Lucy was right, you can't talk. What happened to your voice?
Me: The doctor took out my tonsils
Grandson: Well, the doctor should take them back in because your voice sounds weird. And Lucy can't hear you because she doesn't want to keep listening to your weirdness.
Me: What?
Grandson: She doesn't want to listen to you. When is that doctor going to give you your voice back, Bubby?

No comments:

Post a Comment