Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day Zero - The Day Before My Tonsillectomy


Well, I have decided to make some use of my recovery time and journal my experience of having a tonsillectomy at 45 years of age. I know this is not common, however, I have had more trouble than most with my tonsils down through the years -- plagued by tonsillitis, strep throat and tonsil stones -- lately, a large tonsil cyst that has been on my left tonsil since July 2012. I have been officially diagnosed as having 'hypertrophic tonsils and adenoids (laymen terms - tonsils that are always enlarged).

My surgery is at 7:30am, tomorrow morning (Fri., 4/19/13) with Dr. Reiter of MCV Medical Center in Richmond, VA. I hear he is one of the best. I will be his first patient of the day ... 'Yay, for me' ... which means that I have to arrive at the hospital at 5:30am! Not looking forward to that, at all. I know people think that I will be sedated, so it should not be too bad. For anyone who has been sedated, they can tell you that you do not feel like you have been asleep. It must be something with being forced to sleep and the body is not fully at rest. I don't really know ... I just know that I, usually, still feel tired after surgery.

One thing that I am looking forward to ... losing a bit of weight. I have officially dubbed this time of recovery, "The Ice Diet." We have approximately 40 lbs of ice designated for the first week -- to be used for cold beverages and smoothies, which I should be sipping during every waking moment (to avoid dehydration and other complications).

So, as soon as I am lucid and comfortably (and I use this term, lightly) tucked into my bed. I will let you know how I feel and any other details from the surgery. Do not worry, I will not be too graphic (unless asked).

No comments:

Post a Comment